The history of Dubašnica is tied to forests of downy oak, known as “dub” in Croatia, which grew on its fertile soil.
Throughout history, Dubašnica consisted of three groups of villages. Dolinja sela (Lower Villages) are Porat, Vantačići, Turčići, Zidarići, Milčetići, Bogovići, Radići, and Malinska, with Porat, Vantačići and Zidarići jointly referred to as Vala. Then there are the Gorinja sela (Upper Villages) of Kremenići, Žgombići, Sv. Ivan, Sv. Anton, Strilčići and Sabljići.
The third group of villages bears the name Poganka, and is comprised of: Milovčići, Hržići, Oštrobradići,Barušići and Ljutići. The area is surrounded by sites with the ruins of abandoned villages. Recently, the villages of Maršići and Sršići have also been included in the municipality.
A sheltered port, in the past it served as a haven for ships seeking refuge from inclement weather. Due to the fear of pirates and unwelcome visitors, Malinska was uninhabited for a long period of time. Malinska was rapidly settled in the early 19th century, mostly due to the increase in the export of firewood to Venice, Chioggia and Rijeka. Docks for sail boats and steamships were built, the port area for receiving and loading goods was expanded, trade began to develop and, in 1866, the first passenger steamships began docking at Malinska.
Shipbuilding in Malinska commenced in 1927. During the previous century, the port had not developed as a trading port, but rather as a dock for passenger and tourist ships.
The first traces of human settlement in the area date back to the prehistoric and Classical era, when Liburnian tribes lived here. Their forts remain preserved, with one located near Porat, and the other on the cape of Ćuf. In Zaharija Bay on the western coast, remains of a Classical period residential building (villa rustica) were discovered, testifying to the rural lifestyle of Antiquity. Many more traces of habitation remain from the Middle Ages.
The settlement and development of Dubašnica is closely related to Ivan Frankopan, the last duke of Krk. Dividing his estate with his brothers in 1451, he traded his property on the mainland for theirs on Krk. In order to make the best possible use of the island, he decided to bring people from the mainland to populate uninhabited areas, farm the land, and increase the number of cattle. According to historical data from one Glagolitic missal, among the Croatian settlers there were also those who had fled the Ottoman invasions. The duke referred to them as Vlasi (Vlachs) or Murlaci (Morlacs). The population increased significantly, and the Dubašnica parish, independent of Omišalj, was established in 1480. In a civil sense, it existed as the youngest independent community (Kaštel Dubašnica) on the island.
In 1480, the Venetians tricked the last Frankopan duke into leaving the island. Their rule on Krk lasted until 1797. After the fall of Klis in 1539, the Uskoks settled in Senj. The Uskoks represented a constant threat to Krk, which being a Venetian protectorate, was their enemy. Unfortified towns such as Dubašnica became a frequent target of their raids. The convent and church of St Mary Magdalene in Porat, which dates back to 1480, suffered such raids multiple times. The Venetian provveditore had the task of finding galley rowers-galliots. Those who left never returned, and the streets in which they had lived were sometimes named after them. In reports drafted by various brotherhoods in Dubašnica, it is recorded that many of them perished at sea, and that no one was left to farm the land.
The primary school (Pučka škola) opened its doors on the 17th of March 1846, during the period of the second Austrian reign (1813-1918). Its first teachers were local priests. A new school was built in 1900, and was expanded several times. One of the most important events for Dubašnica in the 19th century was the construction of a new parish church. Its centre was transferred from the long-extinct village of Dubašnica to Bogovići, where the new church of St Apollinaris was built in 1857. The old site is still home to the bell tower and Old Cemetery.
On Krk, the period of World War One was marked by grueling life, fear, departure to the battlefield, and great hunger due to drought. The Italian occupation (1918-1921) was the most difficult period in the history of Krk. The interbellum period was marked by emigration from Dubašnica, mainly from the inland villages where many families lived, and wood trade, agriculture and farming were unable to provide them with a livelihood. People emigrated to America, Canada, and South America, particularly to Brazil and Montevideo in Uruguay. The economic crisis of 1929 saw many emigrants return to the island. In the 1930s they built their homes with distinctive arcades under the windows. During World War Two, with the breakup of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia and the establishment of the Independent State of Croatia, fear of Italian occupation resurfaced, and these fears became a reality. People had to get by in any way they could. Rule was Italian, and Italian was spoken in schools.
Croatian teachers lost their jobs, and the priesthood no longer enjoyed favour. Even bigger trials awaited with the arrival of the German army. After Partisan attacks, they would perform constant raids and seize cattle and food. On the 17th of April 1945, a Partisan attack corps sailed in and demolished the German strongholds in the area of Dubašnica. Sadly, this war claimed 39 lives in Dubašnica. During the Croatian War of Independence. Dubašnica welcomed many refugees from Slavonia and was very generous in their care, from providing material and spiritual help to organizing school lessons for their pupils. Six young lives were lost on the battlefields, or died as a result of wounds. The very foundations of the statehood of the Republic of Croatia are connected with Dubašnica, as it was at the Hotel Palace in Malinska (once the crown jewel of the Haludovo hotel complex) that eminent legal experts composed the Draft of the First Croatian Constitution on the 15th of August 1990.