Obala 46, 51511 Malinska, Hrvatska

History trivia

First primary school, first post office, first electric lighting...
  • The first primary school was opened on the 17th of March 1846.  Local priests were the first teachers, and classes were held in private homes.  School was not compulsory.
  • The post office in Malinska opened its doors on the 6th of February 1859.
  • The Posujilnica – Savings and loan association was established in Dubašnica in 1914, allowing locals to no longer depend on usurers.
  • Potable running water from Ponikve lake arrived in Malinska in 1946.
  • Electric lighting first illuminated the streets of Malinska on the 15th of July 1931.

  • In the early 20th century, fishermen needed a special permit from the Harbour Master’s Office in Sušak In order to dry their fishing nets.
  • In early 1887, Malinska was visited by the Austro-Hungarian archduke Rudolf of Habsburg.
  • Tourist traffic has been systematically recorded in Malinska since 1929.
  • In the mid 1970s, the most popular tourist attraction in Malinska were donkey rides which hosted 30 riders at once.
  • In the past, banjini (beach guards) were popular figures on the beach.  They were at the service of bathers the entire day, and were charged with maintaining order and cleanliness.
  • Malinska is one of the rare towns with a street named after a thief, Pavus (the augmentative of Pave).  His destiny was not a happy one.